Obulala na Amani

Calendar for July 2011




















































This year, July has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays. This happens
once every 823 years.

This year we're going to experience four unusual dates.

1/1/11, 1/11/11, 11/1/11, 11/11/11 and that's not all...

Take the last two digits of the year in which you were born - now add
the age you will be this year,

The results will be 111 for everyone in whole world.

Man jailed for sodomising his sick father

By Renson Mnyanwezi, May 15 2011
A man has been jailed for 10 years for sodomising his ailing father in Taita-Taveta County. Wundanyi Resident Magistrate K I Orenge found Joseph Mwamburi Kapanga, who had earlier denied committing the offence, guilty. Prosecution was led by Chief Inspector Sammy Ombogo.

The accused was charged that on diverse dates in February at unknown time at Wesu market in Wundanyi had carnal knowledge of his father against the order of nature. The prosecution told the court the complainant was at his house with his wife when the accused, who is his son, came and threatened to kill his mother.

"I was at Wesu sleeping when the accused came to my room and sodomised me. I suffer from stroke and my daughter Fiona came and found the accused in the act and screamed," the old man told the packed court. "I have been sick for 14 years," the complainant told the court. "He came at night and covered my mouth using a white cloth and sodomised me again."

Inspector Ombogo said the accused had a club and he assaulted his mother who fled the scene and went to her daughter’s shop. The prosecution told the court the accused took advantage of the complainant who was bedridden for nine years due to stroke to sodomise him. The court heard that the complainant’s wife later came back and took the complainant to hospital where he was examined and found to have been sodomised. The matter was reported to Wundanyi Police Station and the accused arrested and charged.

In his ruling the magistrate said the offence committed was very serious considering that it was committed against the father of the accused who was sick and bedridden. "This court will send the offender to prison for a period of 10 years," the magistrate ruled. The accused was given 14 days to appeal against the sentence.


Woman flees after snake spills out of her handbag

By Joan Wesakulila, Jan 17 2011
There was drama at the Homabay District hospital when a woman’s efforts to gain entry to the hospital were thwarted by security officers manning the gate leading to a scuffle as the security officers demanded to inspect her purse.
As the drama raged on, the woman’s handbag fell on the ground spilling its contents in all directions but more drama arose when a snake scrawled out of the handbag.

The security officers were left speechless as well as patients and relatives seeking entry to the hospital as many scampered for safety. The woman flew leaving her handbag and snake behind. However, the security officers were unable to kill the snake as it disappeared into the nearby bushes leaving many frightened and in shock. The hospital’s security personnel have launched a thorough security check on all the people gaining entry to the facility to check on their patients. It still not yet clear what was the intention of the woman to carry a snake to the hospital. More...

Shock as Chwele man gives birth to a frog

By Isura Christopher, Nov 18 2010
There was drama at Chwele district hospital on Wednesday evening when a middle aged man who had been rushed to the hospital 'gave birth' to a creature believed to be a frog. Business at the busy hospital came to a standstill when word of the bizarre incident went round attracting a huge crowd who came to witness the unfolding drama. It is alleged that the men, identified as Stephen Barasa and Cyrus Sichangi both from Sikusi location in Bungoma developed excruciating stomachache before they were rushed to the hospital for medical attention.

Cyrus Sichangi gave 'birth' to the frog in circumstances that left all and sundry baffled. It is alleged that a witchdoctor had cast a spell on the two after they were allegedly suspected to have stolen sheep from a farmer in the region. Doctors at the hospital and the residents, remained speechless as they watched in disbelief as the frog dropped from Sichangi's bottom.

This happened on the same day when two snakes believed to be for witchcraft from Sinoko area were killed by residents. However, the two were unable to confess whether they had indeed stolen the said sheep as they were all in shock. They were later rushed to the home of the witchdoctor when Stephen Barasa started showing similar signs as Cyrus Sichangi to be cleansed. The incident has left many flabbergasted and tongues are wagging as to the extent of witchcraft in the region and how its affecting lives in a negative way.

Source: WestFM

Bunyore sister sister marriage marred by claims of deceit, infidelity

elisha koli
Torn between sisters, Elisha Koli from Bunyore and his sister-sister wives Mildred (left) the older sister and Evelyn. Photos: Liz Muthoni

By Hillary Sang, November 16 2010
The story was one of those that leave you shaking your head in disbelief. Two sisters, one man - their husband. What was even more unbelievable? Neither of them seemed to have a problem sharing the man! And the intrigues did not end there. Besides the two sisters, Elisha Koli, their hubby, had another wife, who lived in his upcountry home in Bunyore, a woman he had married a year after the death of his first wife in 1999. When Koli’s story appeared in the Daily Nation two weeks ago, it captured the nation’s attention and was, in fact, one of the most popular stories in the paper’s online editions for two weeks running. Here was a young man - Koli is 41 - who had somehow managed to run three households and keep three women happy.

What was it about him that was so irresistible that it would motivate two young, beautiful sisters to fall in love with him enough not to mind calling each other co-wives? Could this man and his wives have the answers to what it takes to nurture a happy marriage? After all, they say three’s a crowd but, in this case, it appeared that three was the perfect number. Our curiosity piqued, we decided to seek out this seemingly happy household in the hope that they would share the secret to their successful, albeit unlikely, union.

What we managed to unearth, however, was a tale of betrayal and sisterly rivalry that has been simmering for a while. When Mildred Ajiambo’s younger sister Evelyn went to live with her husband and two children a few years ago, Mildred was relieved to have someone to help her take care of her two children. What she never imagined at the time, however, was that, in less than a year, her sister and her husband would be having an affair behind her back. “When I invited her to stay with me, it did not occur to me that anything would take place between her and my husband because I trusted him,” Mildred narrates. She says the relationship between her husband and Evelyn must have started as soon as Evelyn moved in with them.

A couple of months after Evelyn moved in, she disappeared from their home. “My mother looked for her everywhere but could not find her,” recounts Mildred. What they did not know, however, was that Evelyn had been hidden by Koli all this time. First in Kisumu town and later Lwang. It was not until Evelyn visited her parents much later that the truth emerged. Apparently, she had left behind a bag, which their mother went through. In it, she found rent payment receipts bearing Koli’s name. And that was when it dawned on the family that Evelyn had been with her elder sister’s husband all this time. “What makes me bitter is that Koli married my sister without consulting me,” recounts Mildred.

Koli had earlier said that he had consulted Mildred before marrying her sister. She adds: “I don’t consider myself a woman who has a husband; rather, somebody who has someone who’s just paying my rent, paying school fees for my children and buying food and clothes for them.” She added that when their story appeared in the papers last week, she decided to call it quits because her husband had not informed her about it. “But I changed my mind after I considered that it was my mother, a widow, who would have to shoulder the responsibility of helping take care of my two children,” she explains, adding that she does not believe there is a woman out there who is content about sharing a man with another woman.

Although Mildred says her husband adequately provides for her and their children, she complains he rarely visits her. “He can even go away for three weeks. Though I have everything I need in the house, I feel lonely when he is not around,” Mildred says, adding that financial support is not the antidote to a happy marriage. She does not intend to bear any more children, arguing that the two she has are enough. The marital arrangement has made her distrustful of men in general, terming them incapable of respecting their nuptial vows.

Mildred says she enjoys a cordial relationship with Josephine, Koli’s other wife who lives in Bunyore with her two children and another from Koli’s first marriage. She says when Josephine visits Nairobi, she makes sure that she visits her (Mildred), but never Evelyn. The relationship between the two sisters is so sour that they are no longer in talking terms. “My sister does not even visit me. And when I bump into her, she ignores me.” According to her, it is not even clear who the second wife is, even though she says Koli married her first before taking Josephine afterwards.

The confusion, she says, is because Koli had lived with Josephine for long before legalising their union, but as soon as she (Mildred) got married to him, he legalised his union with Josephine. According to Koli, though, Josephine is his second wife, while Mildred comes third. Although the two sisters no longer see eye to eye, Mildred’s children freely visit Evelyn, who is yet to bear a child, and sometimes they even spend the night there. Mildred does not mind, arguing that, in spite of the animosity between them, she is still her children’s aunt, and that they seem to like it there.

This, according to Koli, is a sign that the sisterly love his two wives like to deny still exists. It is clear that Evelyn regrets the circumstances that led to the split between her and her sister. She says she did not confide in Mildred about the affair with Koli because she was afraid of her reaction. “I had no intention of going behind my sister’s back,” she says, adding that Koli melted her heart her when he promised to take her for a dress-making course. Evelyn is the last born in the family of seven children, and did not go to high school since her mother could not afford it.

She says “circumstances” forced her to give in to Koli’s advances. “I was young. It was easy to get deceived, and I regret what happened, but it’s too late now to do anything about it,” says Evelyn, who was 18 when she began her affair with Koli. When asked whether she is comfortable with sharing a husband with her sister, she goes quiet, as if muted by the gravity of the question.

After a minute or two, she finally looks up, but the look in her eyes makes it clear that it’s time we moved on to the next question. Does she trust her husband? This time round, she doesn’t need to turn over the question in her mind. Her answer is an emphatic ‘No’. “Koli would do anything to get a woman he likes. He is very convincing and can do anything to win a woman’s heart,” she explains. But Koli says he has no intention of marrying another woman, and that he is faithful to his three wives and intends to stay that way.

The one thing the sisters agree with is that Koli is a man who fulfils his financial responsibilities. In the footsteps of Akuku Danger? Looking at him, there’s is nothing unique about Elisha Koli, though when he starts talking, he strikes you as a likable person who can be the life of a party. “I am not fond of alcohol,” he says when asked what he does for leisure. “Sometimes I take one or two bottles of beer, but I never go beyond that,” he says, adding that his father, a polygamous man, drank a lot and shirked his responsibilities when he and his siblings were younger. “There’s nothing good about alcohol, believe me,” he says, shaking his head. His wife, Mildred, who was interviewed separately, agrees that Koli has never been a big drinker. “The one good thing that can be said about him is that he’s not a drunkard,” she said when asked to describe her husband.

The former student of Kisumu Polytechnic is the first born in a family of eight. “At one point, I was taking care of my siblings on my own after my mother left my father soon after he married his second wife,” he narrates. His father moved in with his new wife, forcing Koli to take over the roles of both father and mother. “I would wake up before everyone else to harvest sand, which I would then sell and buy food for my family. I became their parent figure, assigning them duties in the morning before going to school. I would later rush home in the evening to make sure that everything was running as it should.”

A man who describes himself as hardworking, Koli says he befriended someone who taught him how to weave baskets, which he soon started selling to supplement what he got from his sand selling business. “My childhood wasn’t easy, but I was never one to sit down and complain, I chose to do something about it. I vowed that I would complete school and get a decent job that would ensure that I never went back to that kind of poverty,” he explains. His parents eventually reunited after four years, and his father, a former employee of the Kenya Railways Corporation and the Kenya Ports Authority, paid for his high school education as well as college. He studied Electrical Engineering.

I value education. It changes and transforms lives. That’s why I ensure all my children attend good schools. None of them has ever been chased from school for lack of school fees.” Supporting three households must be a back-breaking job, no matter how hardworking one is, so we fish. “It’s not an easy task having three families,” Koli admits. “Sometimes, Evelyn falls sick, only to find out that one of my children with Mildred is also sick. Just as I start thinking things cannot get worse, Josephine calls to say that our children’s school fees need be paid! It’s not easy, but I try to meet all these demands because they’re my responsibility.”

A challenge which he has not quite managed to overcome is to forge an amiable relationship among his three wives, especially the one between the two sisters he has married. Speaking of sisters, did he really have to marry from the same family? “Just like her sister, Mildred, Evelyn is beautiful, hardworking, patient and loving,” Koli defends himself, adding that he loves both of them and wishes that they would learn to co-exist with each other. “I hope that one day the animosity between them will go away. I want them to know that I love them both, and that I will always take care of them.”

Source: NATION

Bunyore man breaches cultural taboo by marrying sisters

Elisha Koli Mildred and Evelyn Koli
Mr Elisha Koli with his first wife who died in 1999. The couple had two children, Erick and Mercy (not in picture). FAR RIGHT: Sister wives: Mildred and Evelyn. Under Bunyore customary laws, it is taboo to marry sisters.

By Hillary Sang, Nov 3 2010
Polygamy is not news in Kenya, except when somebody like Akuku Danger marries over 46 wives and sires over 200 children. But the case of one Elisha Koli is rather unique. He has four wives... and two of them are biological sisters. At 41, Mr Koli has had six children and four wives. The first wife had two children before she died in 1999 after a short illness.

A week later, her six-year-old daughter died. Mr Koli was left with his son, who was only a year old. “I decided to marry many wives because of the discouragement I experienced when my first wife died. I thought it would be better if I had more than two wives,” Koli said. He married his second wife, Josephine, in 2000. She took care of the boy and lived in Bunyore, Emuhaya District, where Mr Koli’s first wife had also lived.

Three months later, he married Mildred, his third wife. A few months later, Mildred’s sister, Evelyn, joined the new family as a house-help. Little did she know that she was going to share a husband with her sister. “I noticed that she behaved well like her sister and I thought I could marry her,” he said. Mr Koli’s third wife, Mildred and his fourth wife, Everlyn. Mr Koli saw no problem with marrying sisters and he approached Mildred, who told him that he could go ahead if the family agreed. He spoke to their parents and brothers and they did not oppose the marriage. Mr Koli then met with elders and was given the go-ahead.

Ebwali Secondary SchoolEssongolo Primary School
Mr Koli went to Ebwali Secondary School and Essongolo Primary in Bunyore.

He married Evelyn and rented a house for her in Kawangware 46, approximately 400 metres from Kawangware Muslim where Mildred lives. Mr Koli paid bride price for the sisters at the same time and says it has been a happy union. Mildred has two children but Evelyn has none. The former student of Essong'olo Primary School, Ebwali Secondary School and later Kisumu Polytechnic has had an eventful life.

Born the first of eight children, he at one time was forced to fend for his siblings. When his father, who was then “a drunkard”, married his second wife, Koli’s mother called it quits, leaving the young man to look after his siblings. Their father virtually moved house to stay with his new wife. The young man was left with no option but do menial jobs, like harvesting sand, to get money for subsistence. He would assign them duties in the morning before going to school and later rush home in the evening to check if the sand was bought.

“The reason I look after my wives well is because of the experience I got then. I consider them as my siblings,” Mr Koli said. Things changed for the better four years later when their parents reunited and children enjoyed the comfort of a real family life. This became a good platform for him because his father paid his high school fees. “He paid fees for Form One and Two at once and later Form Three and Four also at once,” Mr Koli said.

Their father stopped drinking and got saved. This created a new life for Koli who joined the Kisumu Polytechnic where he studied telecommunication and later landed himself a job at Eve Africa Telecommunication Company. He was attached to the Kenya Armed Forces and later the Kenya Postal Telecommunication Company as a communication technician. He has also worked with Commtel Engineering Africa, Simoco Europe, Distributed Communication and Radio Frequency System Company.

“When I have Sh3,000, I give Josephine Sh1,200, Mildred Sh1,000 and Evelyn Sh800,” said Koli. He explains that Josephine gets a large share because she has two children and is taking care of the first wife’s child; Mildred follows because she has two children and Evelyn less because she does not have a child. He adds that he spends more time with Evelyn because she does not have any children, so he considers himself her child.

Source: NATION

Man marries dog

man marries dog

By Weirdnews, Sept 24 2010
We have all heard the 'man bites dog' stories, but how about a real-life 'man marries dog' tale! This one takes the biscuit, and it could only happen in India, the land of the Kama Sutra. But you won't find this kind of love story between man and beast in the ancient Indian sex manual. It took place for real during a traditional hindu ceremony at a temple in the southern state of Tamil Nadu.

The groom in question was a 33-year-old Indian farmer named Selvakumar, and he was wed to a female dog named Selvi. He married his four legged bitch to atone for stoning two other dogs to death and stringing them up in a tree 15 years ago. He believed the act cursed him and he had been suffering ever since, he told the Hindustan Times.

After he stoned the dogs he said his legs and hands got paralysed, he lost hearing in one ear, and his speech was impaired. With doctors unable to help him, Selvakumar turned to an astrologer who told him he was cursed by the spirits of the dogs he had killed. He could undo the curse only if he married a dog and live with it, the soothsayer warned.

Family members chose a stray female dog who was then bathed and clothed for the wedding occasion. Selvi the bride was brought to the temple by village women and a Hindu priest conducted the ceremony. The paper showed a picture of Selvakumar sitting next to his canine bride, which was adorned in an orange sari and flower garland. The paper said the groom and his family then had a feast, while the dog got a bun.

It was reported that Selvi attempted to make a bolt for it -- apparently due to the big crowds -- but she was tracked down and returned to her new 'husband'. "The dog is only for lifting the curse and after that, he plans to get a real bride," a friend of the groom said. Deeply superstitious people in rural India sometimes organize weddings to dogs and other animals, believing it can beat certain curses.

Source: KBC

Eldoret residents feast on dog meat and pronounce it delicious

dog eaters of eldoret
Dog meat on sale in South Korea where it is a normal item in their cuisine. Other cultures find eating dog meat repugnant.

By Michael Chepkwony, Sept 8 2010
A congregation was shocked after a man confessed he has been selling samosas made from dog meat. Mr Samuel Waweru said has been in the business in Eldoret town for more than a year now. He said whenever he got an opportunity, he would slaughter the mongrels to prepare his samosas. He further testified that he operated his business at the town’s Central Business District and earned a substantial income to cater for his family of six. Waweru gave his testimony at Divine Holiness Church in Eldoret during a lunch hour service.

He also pleaded with the congregation to pray for him so that God may forgive him. "I am a sinner. The devil lured me into killing and slaughtering dogs without the knowledge of the residents and even my family," he said. Waweru even cited a recent incident in which a car hit and killed a dog. "I told the people who found me at the scene that I was throwing the carcass to avoid it from rotting on the road," he said. But he went ahead and cut up the carcass at night and made samosas during the day. "My customers ate and some even told me it was delicious without knowing it was dog meat," he said.

Stray dogs loitering the streets at night, he said, had been his source of meat for a long time. "I usually carry a heavy metal in the evening. I would then befriend a dog with little food before hitting it hard on its head," Waweru revealed. Pastor Joseph Tonui prayed for him and advised him against such a sinful trade. Lunch hour services are held in many corners of Eldoret town. And the sale of samosas is common at the verandas of buildings, especially in the evening as residents return home from work. But the consumers know little about what they consume along the streets. Source: Standard

Others who eat dogs

Dog meat refers to edible parts and the flesh derived from (predominantly domestic) dogs. Human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world including China, ancient Mexico, and ancient Rome. Dog meat is currently consumed in a variety of countries such as China, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Korea. In addition, dog meat has also been used as survival food in times of war and/or other hardships. In contemporary times, some cultures view the consumption of dog meat to be a part of their traditional cuisine, while others consider consumption of dog to be offensive. Supporters of dog meat argue that the distinction between livestock and pets is subjective. In the Islamic and Jewish cultures, eating dog is forbidden under Muslim dietary laws and Jewish laws of Kashrut. Source: Wikipedia

Pervert has sex with two chickens and a cow

By Peter Mutai, March 10 2010
Police in Bureti District are holding a 22-year-old man accused of committing unnatural sexual acts with two chickens and a cow. The incident, which took place at the weekend in Cheboin location, led to the deaths of the birds before the suspect turned his attention to a cow that was grazing in a nearby field. Baffled villagers, who interrupted the suspect’s spirited endeavours, said he led the animal from the field to a nearby shed where he secured its legs. "It was shocking. The man, whose trousers were bunched at his feet, was struggling with the cow from the rear," said a villager who witnessed the bizarre act and raised the alarm, forcing the suspect to abandon his mission. Bureti OCPD Dido Galgalo said residents alerted police about the incident."We carried out investigation with the help of several witnesses. They led us to the suspect’s home on Monday where we arrested him. He is being detained at Litein Police Station for questioning," The OCPD explained. According to the police officer, the carcasses of the chickens were taken to the station. A veterinary officer was also summoned to examine the cow.

Source: Standard

78 year old man charged with sodomising 7 boys

By Wairimu Kamande, April 7 2010
A man arrested last week for allegedly sodomising seven schoolboys was arraigned before a Thika court. Joseph Irungu Kamau, 78, denied assaulting the Juja Farm Primary School pupils aged between eight and 12 years. The prosecutor Nancy Muthuri urged Senior Principal Magistrate Margaret Gitonga not to grant the suspect bail, claiming he was a threat to children who are on holiday."Granting bail to the accused at this time could be dangerous since the children, who he is accused of molesting are on vacation. We would urge the court not to allow his bond application," she said. But the magistrate ordered that Kamau be freed on a Sh700,000 bond with surety of similar amount. His case will be heard on April 27. More...

Woman rescued from ritual killing

By Robert Wanyonyi, May 27 2009
If everything had gone according to her kidnapper’s plan, Ms Esther Nayale, 38, would have been sacrificed in a ritual killing last week.

Nayale, who was drugged and kidnapped in Nairobi while on her way to Mombasa, could have met her death in Webuye, hundreds of kilometres away from her Maralal home, Samburu District.

At Matungu Hospital in Mumias, where she is undergoing treatment for serious burns on the back, Nayale said last week’s events are still unfolding in her mind like a nightmare.

But she says lady luck was on her side if the way she emerged from her harrowing ordeal is anything to go by.

"The only thing I remember clearly right is that I was heading to a Coast Bus booking office in Nairobi for a ticket to travel to Mombasa on May 15.

Strange Place

But four days later, I woke up to find myself in a strange place. I later learnt the place was near Webuye town.

I woke up in pain, my back burnt by something very hot. I later learnt I might have been targeted for black magic ritual, which somehow did not succeed," says Nayale.

esther nayale

Ms Esther Nayale, 38, of Maralal, Samburu, at Matungu Hospital in Butere-Mumias District, yesterday. [PHOTO: Benjamin Sakwa/STANDARD]

Before booking the bus in Nairobi, she entered a nearby restaurant to take a soda, but she does not remember what happened thereafter.

She thinks she was drugged as she took the soda although she cannot remember how and then transported to western Kenya in circumstances she cannot explain.

Screamed for help

"I woke up in a dimly-lit room. I suspect I was seated on a boiling pot because my back was burning. What looked like weird paraphernalia were strewn all around me," she recalls and still seems shaken.

Nayale says: "I came back to my senses and started screaming. I was burning and the smell of burning flesh had engulfed the room. I screamed for help and an old woman came into the small room."

She told me to shut up and added that I was in Webuye and that nothing was going to happen to me. She said she had forgiven me since I had committed no crime; that I was abducted by mistake and was not the one who was to be taken to her for a ritual she did not explain.

Nayale said the old woman held her hand, jerked her off the steaming pot and helped her to stand up. Her backside was in severe pain and she knew she had been badly burnt.

Collapsed in shock

"I then felt pain similar to that a woman feels when she gives birth. Something had been pushed into my private parts and it was making me feel as if I was in labour. The old woman pulled it out and I saw it was my mobile phone. She said she would take me to hospital for treatment. Then I collapsed," she explains.

Nayale said a vehicle was brought and after a journey that she estimated to have taken two hours, she was taken into a sugar-cane plantation and told to lie down.

"The woman told me I was innocent and she wanted to revoke an evil spell that she had cast on me. She made me lie down on the grass and I think I passed out again. I woke up about two hours later to find the woman and the male driver had vanished," Nayale claimed.

Barely managing to stand on her feet, the badly injured Nayale says she crawled to a road and saw two men chewing sugar cane.

Good samaritans

"I asked them where I was and they told me I was near Mumias. After I narrated my ordeal, they were sympathetic and took me to Mumias Police Station from where the officers brought me to hospital," she said.

A sobbing Nayale says she does not know who put her through such suffering.

But she remembers receiving some threatening SMS messages on her mobile phone in the previous two weeks from a person who accused her of having an affair with her husband.

Mumias OCPD Samuel Kosgey confirmed that Nayale was kidnapped, drugged and dumped near Mumias and that investigation had started into the weird incident.

On the fateful day, Nayale was to travel to Mombasa to meet a US pilot who had been sent with some money for her by a relative abroad.

Doctors at Matungu Hospital said the burns on her back were serious, but manageable. Hospital Medical Officer-in-Charge Isaac Mukhwana said they had heavily sedated her because she was still in shock.

Dr Mukhwana said Nayale needed specialised treatment and post-traumatic counselling to recover fully.

Rural Women and Children Rights Awareness Centre Programme Officer Elizabeth Efiketi has appealed to wellwishers to come to Nayale’s help.

Source: Standard


A KIKUYU man walks into a bank in NAIROBI City and asks for the loan officer. He tells the loan officer that he is going to DUBAI on business for two weeks and needs to borrow KSH 5,000. The bank officer tells him that the bank will need some form of security for the loan, so the KIKUYU man hands over the keys to a new Ferrari parked on the street in front of the bank. He produces the title and everything checks out.

The loan officer agrees to accept the car as collateral for the loan. The bank's president and its officers ( luo) all enjoy a good laugh at the KIKUYU for using a KSH 250,000 Ferrari as collateral against a KSH 5,000 loan. An employee of the bank then drives the Ferrari into the bank's underground garage and parks it there. Two weeks later, the KIKUYU returns, repays the KSH 5,000 and the interest,which comes to KSH 150.41.

The loan officer says, 'Sir, we are very happy to have had your business, and this transaction has worked out very nicely but we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked you out and found that you are a multi millionaire. What puzzles us is, why would you bother to borrow 'KSH 5,000' The KIKUYU replies: 'Where else in NAIROBI can I park my car for two weeks for only KSH 150.41 and expect it to be there when I return''

Ah, the mind of the KIKUYU ...

Austrian sicko fathered 7 kids with daughter

AMSTETTEN, Austria, April 29 2008  - Members of the Austrian family victimized by a man who imprisoned his daughter for 24 years and fathered seven children with her have had an "astonishing" meeting, officials said Tuesday. Authorities said the daughter, most of her children whom suspect Josef Fritzl fathered through incest, and Fritzl's wife met each other Sunday morning at a clinic where they have been getting psychiatric treatment and counseling.

"It was astonishing how easily it happened - how the mother and grandmother came together," clinic director Berthold Kepplinger told reporters Tuesday. Kepplinger said the family members interacted very naturally - even though the three children who lived upstairs with the grandparents had never met their siblings in the windowless cell. Officials said one of the children who is receiving medical treatment at another hospital was not part of the gathering. Word of the reunion came as police announced that DNA tests confirmed Fritzl is the biological father of the six surviving children he had with his daughter. Police also said they combed through Fritzl's other properties but found no other hidden windowless cells like the one where he had held his daughter - now 42 - captive since she was 18. Police said Fritzl confessed Monday to holding the daughter captive, sexually abusing her, fathering her children and tossing the body of one child who died in infancy into a furnace. More>>>

austrian sicko
Austrian sicko, Fritzl fathered 7 children with his own daughter imprisoned in a dungeon for 24 years. As far as horror stories go, this ranks topost.
torture chambers
Inside the dungeon of horror where Austrian sicko held daughter captive for 24 years as hus sex slave

Woman found trapped by dead husband's body

ST. LOUIS (AP), April 30 2008 -- Newspaper carrier Bruce Pitts knew the elderly couple only by the prayers the wife made for him while he was working at night and in bad weather, but he felt something was wrong when the papers piled up outside their home.

"It was never like them to leave a newspaper in their tube," Pitt said Tuesday. "That wonderful, small voice inside me said, `This isn't right."'

After his route early Sunday, Pitts went home, napped briefly and, with his wife, returned to Blanche and Fred Roberts' home, just outside Marion, Ill.

They repeatedly rang the doorbells but got no answer. Pitts then eased open an unlocked side door and saw the couple about two feet inside, 84-year-old Blanche Roberts helpless looking right back at Pitts.

Her right leg was pinned beneath the body of her 77-year-old husband Fred, who apparently had died last Wednesday evening of a heart attack after mowing the lawn.

"The good Lord was with her. She was not scared, wasn't panicking," Pitts said during a telephone interview. "She was conscious, talking. Just peaceful. It was remarkable."

Her only request was for water. She knew her name and her relatives, but described her husband as "sleeping," said Pitts, who delivers the Southern Illinoisan, published in nearby Carbondale, Ill.

Pitts described Blanche Roberts as frail and petite. Fred Roberts was a "good-sized man," according to Williamson County, Ill., coroner Mike Burke, though he declined to be specific.

The coronoer said Fred Roberts likely died of a heart attack, based on accounts from the Roberts' visitors that day.

"They said he was really beet-red in the face, that he didn't look good," Burke said.

Blanche Roberts was taken to a hospital in nearby Herrin. The hospital on Tuesday wouldn't confirm whether she still was being treated there; Pitts said the couple's relatives told his wife Monday that she was doing fine.

Pitts has delivered on that route for three years but said he never met the Robertses before Sunday. But he thinks fondly of Blanche Roberts, who often tipped him in letters and was known to Pitts and his wife as "The Prayer Lady."

In her missives, "Blanche would say, `I've been praying for you at night whenever the weather's bad, realizing you're out in it delivering our papers,"' Pitts said. "We'd always say a little prayer back."

Balunda clan in Bungoma bury the dead standing

By Paul Sifuna Oshule, Michigan, Dec 6 2007

Traditions are rarely disputed in much of the world. But it's at the centre of controversy among one ethnic group in Kenya.  The Balunda clan of the Bukusu tribe in Bungoma district buries its deceased in an upright sitting position. They say it is their tradition. But a group of people from the same clan – as well as some critics across the country call the practice “cult-like”.

One of the reasons used to explain the practice is that being propped up in a sitting posture enables the deceased to rise up instantly on the day he or she is summoned by God. Questions have been raised on how possible it would be to sit a dead person up after rigor mortis has set in. Michael Masinde, the cousin to the deceased says that one has to “convince” the dead because they listen. 

"We have to speak to the deceased in a low tone to make them understand that we still love them and should agree with our requests and cultural practices, otherwise it would be difficult to make them sit in the coffin because of the hard bones and joints," he says.

Vincent Khamala, a 70-year-old who belongs to the same clan and has lived in the area all his life, says that the quaint custom is just a matter of fulfilling what the forefathers introduced."The reason we bury our people in a sitting position," he says," is because the first man to die many years ago in the clan was found dead in a sitting position and we just thought the whole clan should follow suit. We cannot break the cycle just because we are in the modern world."
However, not all the clan members fancy the practice as they see it as old-fashioned and cult-like. Those who go against it are considered outcasts and become isolated. Jairus Khaemba is one of the clan members who despise it.   
"We are part of the clan but we don't engage in that kind of practice because our grand parents and parents were very devout Christians and found it backward and ungodly so we will always be buried lying stretched out as we have previously been doing."

Some proud clan members want the clan to popularise the practice throughout Kenya and use it as an identity. They say the extraordinary way of burial could be a tourist attraction and a heritage to be envied by the rest of the world. The Kenyan constitution does not have a national burial law and therefore such a practice cannot be prohibited because customary law is given a special place due to different existing tribes in the country. Analysts however say that given the current trend where people intermarry, perhaps it would be in the national interest to create a uniform burial law to avoid subjecting other people to unacceptable practices.

Iteso exhume the dead after 5 years

iteso dead

By Isaiah Lucheli
The Iteso of western Kenya have a way of handling their dead that would horrify many other people in the world. About five years after burial, they exhume the skulls and skeletons and leave them exposed to the elements. The result is that if you travel through Teso country, you will get the impression that a major archeological undertaking is underway.

In homesteads and in thickets, the skulls lie exposed in a custom the community believes allows the dead to rest better than if they were six feet underground. Apart from allowing the dead a good rest, the custom is also intended to keep them from coming back to torment the living.
The Iteso believe that once human remains are exhumed and exposed, the dead will no longer be able to haunt the living through nightmares, sickness, or other afflictions. The remains are placed on raised ground covered by shrubbery within the compound or at the base of a tree, where there is little interference.

Millet beer, locally known as Ajono, is regularly sprinkled over the site to appease the dead. What remain is ceremonially consumed by elders. The custom is slightly different among their cousins across the border in Uganda. Among the Soroti, who are closely related to the Iteso, the bones of the dead, the arm to be exact, are used to stir the brew, which is then consumed.

According to Iteso customs, the exhumed remains must be placed within the farm of the deceased, because the dead are bound to resist and cause difficulties if they are taken away. Children are warned not to touch or even go near the place where the bones have been put to rest. Children who play with these skulls risk falling very ill, and can only be healed if elders intervene and perform a specific ritual.

This involves slaughtering a sheep for the dead and serving them a traditional brew to beg for forgiveness on behalf of the ailing child. Okisai Okiring of Chakol Division in Teso District says the exhumation rite, known as epunyas, is conducted to stop the dead from tormenting the living. “It’s a belief among the Iteso that the dead are full of evil spirits. They strongly affect the lives of the living through diseases and other calamities,” he says.

Okiring says if the dead are not appeased by bringing them back to earth’s surface, they are capable of wiping out the entire community. “This rite is done to please the dead. If not done, a series of tragedies could strike and wipe out the whole community,” he says.

He says exhuming makes the dead more friendly to the living, and in this way killer diseases and other misfortunes are avoided. The elder observes that epunyas also gives the dead an opportunity to oversee the daily activities of the living. Laurence Ochodi of Amagoro village in Teso says epunyas is usually done five or 10 years after burial.

“We believe that after being in the grave for five to 10 years, the dead get tired and so we remove them from the choking grave and leave them in open air to rest,” says Ochodi. He adds: “When we bring the dead on the surface, they literally exist among us, they see what we do because they are part us and therefore have no reason to torment us.”

The ceremony is conducted across the board for the young and old, men and women. It is done in December after millet has been harvested. A lot of millet beer is brewed and animals slaughtered to celebrate this important Iteso cultural activity. Only elderly people are allowed at the graveside during the exhumation, which takes place at night. The Iteso are not the only community in Western Kenya with unusual customs regarding the dead.

Last year, many mourners were surprised when Cabinet minister Musikari Kombo’s brother was buried seated in a coffin designed like a cupboard. Dignitaries, including President Mwai Kibaki, watched in disbelief as the coffin was lowered in an upright position into a specially designed grave. That is how the Balunda clan of the Bukusu community bury their dead, adding an entirely new dimension to the concept of burial.

They believe death is not a sign of defeat or conquest, but is a form of relaxation. To them, the dead are simply taking a rest from physical activities but continue to oversee the activities of their families and the community at large. There is therefore need for them to remain vigilant in a sitting position. Members of the community are buried in this manner regardless of the sex, age or status to enable them continue directing the activities of the living.

The Balunda people believe that this is the only way to ensure that the elders continue occupying their revered positions from where they can direct and counsel the living. Respected elders are given the responsibility of supervising the burial rites and to ensure that all the required rites are observed. During burial, a number of carefully selected people enter the grave first to receive the body when it is lowered in. They then carefully place the body in a specially hallowed out niche in the grave. The rest of the grave is filled up.

Burying one in a sitting position requires that a small extension be dug into the grave’s longitudinal side to accommodate the deceased. Respected elders from the community chant incantations as they place the deceased in a sitting position in preparation for burial. Peter Makokha, a respected clan elder, says such incantations are only said for members of the Balunda clan.

“There are specialists in the community who know how to prepare the graves and their services are always always sought. Some traditional rites are observed prior to the digging,” says Makokha. The custom, Makokha says, does not discriminate against gender or age and the rite is performed for every clan member. Makokha explains that the only difference occurs when elderly men with grown up grandchildren die. They are wrapped in a cow’s hide before they are interred in a sitting position.

“When an elder who has grandchildren who have undergone the second rite of passage (circumcision) dies, it calls for more elaborate rites like wrapping him in a skin before burial,” says Makokha. This is to signify that the person being buried commands a lot of respect in the community and has left a rich legacy for the younger generation to emulate.

“The skin wrapped around the deceased is a sign of authority and also serves to give him a dignified resting place,” says Makokha. “Even women from other communities or Bukusu clans who get married here go through the same system during their burial.” This, however, does not apply to women who get married outside the clan for they are handled according to the customs of the communities they marry into. “We bury our dead in a sitting position because we believe sitting is a sign of life,” Makokha says.

The community has been practising this custom for more than a century, anchored in the belief that it reduces the number of deaths in their community. Elders say that before that, the clan used to bury their dead like other people but the death rate was so high they were forced them to seek guidance from the spirits of their departed forefathers. “Our forefathers offered sacrifices to the spirits of the departed and were advised on how to inter the departed,” says an elder, William Wanyama.

Another elder, Moses Wakoli, says the Vamusomi, Valugulu, Varutu and Vawambwa clans place their dead the right hand side when burying them. Wakoli says the people of these clans place their dead this way to enable them to continue monitoring the activities of the living. They are buried without metallic objects such as rings, watches or belts as these might put them in bondage and make it impossible for them to oversee their communities’ day-to-day activities.

“Being buried with some objects can also lead to bad luck and result in the death of members of the community,” said Wakoli. Due to the large number of such burials, Makokha says coffin makers in Bungoma have modified them to suit the clan’s needs. He says the coffins are built to resemble a cupboard. The prices, however, remain the same as for conventional coffins. Source: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ourstrangeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/0129011.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ourstrangeworld.net/%3Fp%3D7029&h=99&w=145&sz=4&hl=en&start=5&sig2=aDjBcIwu17lEmIU6zyhohw&um=1&tbnid=JNKwcZNZC-QNHM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=95&eid=&eid=WHVZR8DeFZqUwQHq29T5CA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbukusu%2Bburial%26ndsp%3D18%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-US%26sa%3DN

'Rewired brain' revives patient after 19 years

By Helen Phillips, New Scientist, Sunday 3 June 2007

A study of the "miraculous" recovery of a man who spent 19 years in a minimally conscious state has revealed the likely cause of his regained consciousness.

The findings suggest the human brain shows far greater potential for recovery and regeneration then ever suspected. It may also help doctors predict their patients’ chances of improvement. But the studies also highlight gross inadequacies in the system for diagnosing and caring for patients in vegetative or minimally conscious states.

In 1984, 19-year-old Terry Wallis was thrown from his pick-up truck during an accident near his home in Massachusetts, US. He was found 24 hours later in a coma with massive brain injuries.

Within a few weeks he had stabilised in a minimally conscious state, which his doctors thought would last indefinitely. It did indeed persist for 19 years. Then, in 2003, he started to speak.

Over a three day period, Wallis regained the ability to move and communicate, and started getting to know his now 20 year old daughter – a difficult process considering he believed himself to be 19, and that Ronald Reagan was still president.

Brain rewiring

To try and find out what was going on inside Wallis's brain, Nicholas Schiff and colleagues from the Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York City, used a new brain imaging technique called diffusion tensor imaging (DTI). The system tracks water molecules and so reveals the brain’s white matter tracts – akin to a wiring diagram. They combined this with more traditional PET scanning, to show which brain areas were active.

The team's findings suggest that Wallis’s brain had, very gradually, developed new pathways and completely novel anatomical structures to re-establish functional connections, compensating for the brain pathways lost in the accident.

They found that new axons – the branches that connect neurons together – seemed to have grown, establishing novel working brain circuits.

Surprisingly, the circuits look nothing like normal brain anatomy. A lot of the damage had been to axons that passed from one side of the brain to the other, torn by the force of the accident. But Schiff says that new connections seem to have grown across around the back of the brain, forming structures that do not exist in normal brains.

Neural plasticity

There were also significant changes between scans taken just two months after the recovery, and the most recent, at 18 months. Some of the new pathways had receded again, while others seem to have strengthened and taken over as Wallis continued to improve.

Krish Sathian, a neurologist and specialist in brain rehabilitation at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, US, describes it as an amazing finding. “The bounds on the possible extent of neural plasticity just keep on shifting,” he says. “Classical teaching would not have predicted any of these changes.”

Knowing the mechanism will be important for identifying whether a particular unconscious patient could improve, says Schiff, potentially allowing doctors to target their rehabilitation efforts.

Family appeals

But improvements in the care of patients could be made without putting every patient into a brain scanner, says Schiff. There is currently no system for even a bedside re-examination from 8 weeks after an initial diagnosis, despite the fact that “their whole prognosis might change”, he says.

Wallis was frequently classified as being in a permanent vegetative state. Though his family fought for a re-evaluation after seeing many promising signs that he was trying to communicate, their requests were turned down.

“A careful bedside examination at 6 months [after the accident] would have unequivocally said he was not in a vegetative state,” says Schiff. There is a much greater chance of a late recovery from a minimally conscious state, he adds, although such recoveries are still rare. “The Wallis case will force the issue,” he believes.

Source: New Scientist.com